Moo shu is a traditional dish made with pork, although today it exists in many different variations. The name changes depending on the type of meat you use. With pork it is pork moo shu, with chicken it becomes chicken moo shu and when it comes to beef, the name changes to beef moo shu.
If you’ve never heard of beef moo shu, don’t worry. In this article, we tell you more about the origin of this dish, the different variations, a great recipe that you should try and finally, some nutrition points about it.
What is Moo Shu Beef?
As already mentioned, moo shu is traditionally a Chinese dish. It was originally made from pork but in this case, to make beef moo shu, it was made from beef. It also includes other ingredients like green onions, cucumbers, scrambled eggs and some mushrooms, all sauteed.
You can season the dish with some garlic, green onions, ginger, soy sauce and rice wine. That said, all of these ingredients are rolled up into a small pancake that you then eat each one like a roll. Over time, this dish has transformed into a stir-fry that can be served with your rice.
It is said that this ancient Chinese dish was first served in American restaurants in 1966. It was first seen in New York and Washington DC. This dish has been served in some of the most popular restaurants in the two cities. When beef moo shu was first introduced, it was made in the traditional style.
However, with time it has been modified. This is because it is increasingly difficult to get the lily buds and woody ears that the traditional style requires. The people who prepared it devised what is now known as the modern recipe.
In modern recipes, the main ingredient of the dish is green cabbage. However, it still includes scrambled eggs, green onions, carrots, and bean sprouts. The two ingredients, day flower buds and wood ear, which are harder to find, are used in smaller quantities. In general, the vegetables you will be using for this dish are best cut into long, thin strips before cooking begins.
That said, today different chefs will have different preparations added to this dish depending on where you find yourself eating it. The beauty of a dish is partly determined by how much you can customize it to suit your preferences.
Method of making moo shu
- Take a large bowl and in it, carefully whisk the hoisin sauce together with the garlic, vinegar, half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of pepper. Once well mixed, add the pork and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Take your vegetable oil in a large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil over high heat. Use tongs to remove the beef from the sauce and saute until nicely browned. It only takes a few minutes to make, but be sure to have the sauce ready.
- Transfer beef to a plate. Take 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, then put it in the pan to make some pan juice, which you will then pour over the steak on the plate.
- Add your remaining vegetable oil to the pan and when hot enough, saute the mushrooms. Make sure they turn golden and beautiful. This process will take about two minutes. Add to your coleslaw mix and then cook until wilted for about 3 minutes.
- Add your beef and also the marinade you reserved earlier and only half of the scallions. Saute them for 2 minutes. Season with a little salt and sprinkle in the remaining half of the scallions.
- Serve in a beautiful bowl over lettuce leaves with hoisin sauce.
Moo Shu beef nutrition
The point about food is that while you eat it for flavor, it will also offer a number of benefits to your body and its overall health. Otherwise, you really run the risk of being unhealthy. When you get a serving of beef moo shu, you benefit from a number of nutrients. One serving has the following:
- Saturated Fat
So, if you are someone who likes to try different dishes, then we recommend you to try moo shu in bowl or packet form. Both work, they’re delicious and the best part is that even though this dish is originally from China, you won’t really have to go there for it. How about making it yourself using the above recipe.
While we’re just sharing the ingredients of the pack and some tips on how to use them, it’s really not that difficult to prepare. Just like the bowl, it will only take you a short amount of time to prepare. It will keep you full for a while.